Friday 25 July 2014

A FORAY INTO PHOTOGRAPHY


Finding myself frustrated with the painting process. I decide to strip myself of the title 'painter' and replace it with 'artist'. This gives me a much freer feeling and 'permission' to investigate other mediums without having to think about them as preliminaries to painting. Other mediums/practices have always played a part within my work, but somehow I have always sidelined them as the other stuff I do when not painting. Now I am thinking about them as part of the extended range of my practice - different approaches needed to articulate and manifest my ideas.

The subject matter of memory, how it unfolds in and upon itself; it's fallibility, truths and falsehoods are still central to my practice. The use of landscape with its variable possibilities of journeys as a metaphor for memory is also its most poignant manifestation and where I feel most able to express these ideas/questions.



After Image: Inkjet Photograph on Archival Cotton Rag


















The photography collages are running at the same speed as my pattern of thoughts. Ideas can be very quickly created, progressed or discarded.Starting with my own or found photographs I am using a mixture of collage, Photoshop, cutting, sticking and re-photographing.Being a novice to Photoshop, I am currently unencumbered with stifling knowledge and am embracing the 'accidents' of new explorations.

Reflecting: Inkjet Photograph on Archival Cotton Rag
The processes are mentally similar to the ones I engage in whilst painting, but the physical process is much faster allowing me a lot more room for experimentation.

I have begun to make little mock-up sets in which to manipulate the ideas.Cutting and sticking together different photos,adding props, lighting then re-photographing.Playing with what we see- real and perceived. Creating new 'memories' of places that never quite were.

The Hut:Inkjet Photograph on Archival Cotton Rag




No comments:

Post a Comment